Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Let The Trauma Begin, No Escape from the Crib

Life for me began rather quietly, I... Oh who are we kidding? It was every kid for themselves from a very early age. I am far too young to remember all the gritty details and it's probably also my mind blocking out the trauma but there has always been talk of Jeremy covering me from head to toe in Desitin while I was trapped in my crib as a young infant. I am not sure if he was trying to protect me from any possible rashes or if he was doing his best to camouflage me into the crib sheets so Mom couldn't find me and thereby reclaim the title of the cutest in the family for himself.  That crib had further use as a torture chamber when my siblings would tell me that there were ants crawling in there with me to which I know I probably screamed bloody murder. I got even with all those imaginary ants in my bed later in life as I discovered magnifying glasses and sent them all straight to hell where they belonged. Yes, in my world nap time was a very dangerous time, anything could happen.

Trauma tends to stick with you for life whether you realize it or not. I am almost certain that the reason I get ornery after taking naps now is because my mind goes right back to the early traumas of nap time when I couldn't escape.

No comments:

Post a Comment