Monday, September 21, 2015

Mouse Print Fudge

Growing up you could always count on Mom to make delicious homemade treats on a fairly regular basis. One of our favorites was ice cream and homemade fudge sauce. On one particular night Mom had made a particularly delicious batch of fudge sauce and I believe she had doubled the batch to save some for the following evening. Somehow it didn't manage to get put away before everyone went to bed.

It sat in the pan overnight on the stove and was enjoyed by more than just us kids. Now in the past we would have of course gone straight to the fridge to get ourselves a large spoonful to savor before Mom caught us (yeah we were sneaky like that) but this time we noticed a horrible sight of the fudge left out. When we approached we noticed a small divot out of the fudge surrounded by tiny footprints that appeared to have been dancing around with excitement at the discovery. Some little mouse surely had a tummy ache that morning considering it had gorged itself on all that fudge.

Alas with no desire to eat the fudge after seeing the tracks Charlie and Danielle started stirring it up.
After several minutes of playing with it we heard Jeremy coming upstairs and didn't think much of it. They continued playing in it and before we could say "Bob's my uncle" Jeremy had gotten a very large spoonful of the fudge and put it in his mouth.

We stood their silent and motionless and our mouths were probably slightly agape at the sight of our big brother eating Mouse Print Fudge.  I think I was the one who declared "EWWWW! A MOUSE WALKED ALL OVER IN THAT!"

A look of sheer terror crossed his face as he bolted for the sink to spit it out and attempted to sterilize his mouth with scalding hot water. After several mouthfuls of water he finally turned on us with a vengeance. Now clearly this was not warranted as we didn't have even a split second to warn him before he let his own gluttony put him in that situation but alas I still wound up with a dead arm because he had caught me when Charlie and Danielle manage to escape and he punched my arm till all feeling was gone.

Mom at that point had walked down and asked what was going on and I told her a mouse was in the fudge and it was bad and Jeremy ate some. She scolded him for eating it and I just kept my mouth shut as I really didn't want to lose feeling in both arms.


1 comment:

  1. I remember the cat getting in the brownies on the counter, but not this! I guess somethings are best forgotten!

    ReplyDelete